Pages

Dogtown Weekly: And Now Until Next Week

Okay, I'm officially horrible at keeping promises. Bad, bad, ba, ba, black sheep. I'm not finished with my wool, and I don't want to jinx it saying that I'll have it done by Monday.

I'm not sure what exactly happened this week, except for the orchestra concert last night. I guess that put me in a different mindset. But at least I stayed on top of my homework, and I'm back focusing on my sleep habits, after failing a little while ago.

...Okay, I'll promise to have a post up on Monday.

Take the jump to see links to and commentary on great articles you might've missed this week!



Weekly Round-up: 4/12/13

Kristen Lamb: Let Them Eat Cake—The Slow Death of The Old Paradigm Author and LOVE Trumps Laws–A Final Rebuttal to Turow:

This is a response to a recent NY Times article on an author proclaiming "the slow death of the American author". Kristen thinks he's ignoring a major piece of the puzzle.

I'll throw a bone to you guys and say that my first article on YA Confidential is scheduled to go up next Thursday. One topic brushed upon/implied is how change happens and it's often irreversible. Sometimes, although change can be scary (and occasionally the wrong direction),  apart of surviving change is to adapt and work with the other side--or they might decide to push you aside.

Also, piracy is covered here. Read these two articles.

Susan Kaye Quinn: Indie First?:

Here's another trad vs. indie article, with a peek at different viewpoints, including the "no one true way" position Chuck Wendig took. Of course, Ms. Quinn, having been successful with self-publishing, admits that she prefers indie.

Personally, traditional still has its uses, but I'll go with the "no one true way". An unpublished writer should take a look at all the different viewpoints before making a decision.

Veronica Sicoe: Triggers And Taboos In Fiction:

In fiction, one problem that I see every once in awhile is when a story handles a heavy subject wrongly. In at least one case, Forbidden Mind by Kimberly Kinrade, a few subjects are handled slightly. 

One, pedophilia, seems to be handled too lightly, and seems to be more of a motivation catalyst. Another, child abuse, is something to darken the love interest's background.  A third, forced pregnancy via medical means, seems to not have the emotional gravity intended. I guess part of it is the novel's short length and light-edgy tone.

But enough of that. In my opinion, it's better to leave a heavy subject out of a book than to include it and mishandle it.

The Digital Reader: France Plans to Digitize & Sell Out of Print Books, Including Works by Ellison, Silverberg, Le Guin, & More:

France got my attention because I'm learning French in school. An earlier article shared by The Passive Voice said that France's ebook industry is developing quite slowly, but this might give it a nudge.

There's the legal and ethical questions behind the government going in and digitalizing these ebooks, but I'm too tired to think about it.

Duolit: The Justin Timberlake School of Rocking Your Book Launch:

This musical comparison is golden, since it's practically a case study..

Time to Write: Not sure which of your ideas to turn into a book or script? Try 10 - 10 - 10:

I forgot about this article until I saw the headline while creating this post. I need to try out the power of hindsight to see if it helps with your motivation.


Babbles from Scott Eagan: Character Development - Day 4: Be careful of showboating secondary characters:
Yeah, secondary characters stealing the spotlight can be a danger.

Other Interesting Articles:


Have a nice weekend!