Pages

Dogtown Weekly: Does Your Story Have a Vision?

J.K. Growlings listening to his iPod Shuffle.
This was a rejected photoshoot photo.
It didn't have the required sunglasses.
Welcome to the Dogtown Weekly! Time to catch up with some writing articles.

Before I present the ever-growing list of links with commentary, let me direct you to a few one-site posts and one off-site post.

First of all, I need advice for how to cultivate a Google+ community.  Rome wasn't built in a day, but I a direction to walk toward.

Second of all, I'm now a blogger/operative at YA Confidential. I'm on board with an article ready to be put up soon, and I hope this will be a great thing for all parties involved. You should also enter the ten-prize giveaway. It ends tonight.

One more note: I need to create a graphic for the Dogtown Weekly. In this age, pictures are important, and I don't want my social links to look bare when this gets shared. Maybe I'll use J.K. Growlings again and have him read the Wall Street Journal for another photoshoot.

For now, enjoy the photo of J.K. Growlings with my trusty iPod Shuffle.

Now take the jump and enjoy the articles!



Check out these April Fool posts!

While Google put on a good show as usual and YouTube went above and beyond, it wasn't like lesser sites didn't participate in some crazy.


Weekly Round-up: 4/5/13

This is for who haven't heard of Amazon buying Goodreads. This is just one viewpoint, and I suggest that you scout out a variety of other articles on the event.

But in general, I suggest you to not panic--yet.

The Write Practice: How Fast Can You Write?:

This is another article on one of the most interesting writing tips out there: the faster you write, the better your story might be. It's all about getting past the second-guessing, and letting the subconscious pour out its guts. You can clean up later.

An extension to that tip provided in this article is to write a short story draft in one sitting. I should try this out multiple times, although I have done this in the past.

Larry Brooks might not be the most popular advice giver with a few of my troper readers, I think it's hard not to agree with this viewpoint. If you don't have something in mind for your project, a objective or an end goal, you're likely to be in trouble.

Notice how "vision" is not exactly defined here. Mr. Brook notes in the comments that it doesn't matter how you think of "vision", as long as you have something.

Time to Write: Overcoming Procrastination (The Lesser of Two Evils Method):

Okay, let me add a second tip that I should try to my list: overcoming procrastination by procrastinating on a larger task. It makes sense, and hey, most of us would want to avoid cleaning the bathroom.

Creative Writing with the Crimson League: Why I Avoid Writing Fiction in the First Person:

This post got me thinking about the topic. I prefer 1st person, but I don't try pushing that on other people. What got me thinking is the thought of a 1st person narrator having an agenda for telling his or her tale.

This is the first time hearing about that particular thought. Let's say it's far from universal. Let me direct you to my viewpoint on the...point-of-view.

MOAR back-up posts for the writer!

Rachelle Gardner: Give Customers What They Want?:

I had this thought too while thinking about how my story ideas compare with the obvious trends in YA,

Here what I think: "you can either give the readers what they want, or give what the readers didn't know they need."
Yeah. Urban fantasy is pretty iffy in terms of defining it. At TV Tropes, we had trouble deciding what definition to go with. For example, is it still urban fantasy if it takes place outside of an urban area? Does Twilight count?

In any case, Manifestation Files is urban fantasy. My characters are repping St. Louis, but that doesn't mean I don't have some rural battlefields in mind.

Another reminder that self-publishing is not a silver bullet. You can still fail, but you can also fail in traditional publishing.

But the novel in question in this article needs a new cover. A bad cover is considered one of the most major turn-off factors for readers. They don't care if the book's self-published or not, but if it looks self-published (or at least the stereotype of it, basically the "couldn't find an agent" viewpoint), people are hesitant.

It's all about the priorities. The Next Big Thing might be after that bad cover, but there's just so little time in the day.

Oh, and the guy learned, but setting your first ebook at $9.99 at the get-go is not conductive. I can understand an author charging $5, but $10? Ain't no one got time for that. Most traditional publishers don't charge that for an ebook anymore. Plus, I'm a poor high school student severely constrained by the tyrannical "must be 18 years or older" rule applied to every income stream.

Seriously, I hate it that no affilate program caters toward teens. I'll rather blog as a part-time job than flip burgers.

I'm not sure if you're using Kickstarter or not, but if you do, consult this post on mistakes to learn from.

Sorry to end the commentary on a low note, but it's too bad that Harlequin got out scout-free, at least from the legal aspect. I'm hoping that people will at least be worry about Harlequin, but I'm not sure if that will happen or not.

Other Noteworthy Articles:


----
Have a nice weekend! Happy reading and writing!