Pages

Dogtown Weekly: Are Print Books Going Niche?

Welcome to the Weekly!

As I continue experimenting with Feedly this week, I found myself categorizing a ton of articles, so I'm going to test out another way categorization method. This is apart of an ongoing and wide-spanning effort of mine to increase productivity in my day and write more and better.

Yes, I am working on Manifestation Files. It's slow but steady progress.

By the way, I have a great announcement to make very soon, but I'm going to wait until the news break. I'll post on my blog when it's time.

Enjoy the articles, and don't forget to share them with other writers!


Weekly Round-up: 2/29/13:

From the Write Angle: Five Tips For Finding Your Pirated Novel Online:

Here's another piracy-related post for the authors. The tip that stood out is to not use Google Alerts. I've used it before for finding Amazon gift card giveaways, and let me just say that it's not the most reliable and the fastest system. Maybe manual searching regularly would yield better results--along with watchful fans.

And they might shut it down anyways. Oops. I'm biting the hand.


The Indelibles: The Importance of Backups & A Disaster Recovery Plan:

And then here's yet another backup post for every writer. When I have a regular income, I'll invest money in my own computer and good backup besides the cloud.

The Creative Penn: Are African Writers And Readers Ready For The eBook Revolution?:

This got me thinking about literary markets in other counties outside the United States. There are millions of other readers that we're not selling to. Yet, some overbroad markets aren't commercially viable, especially if you have to translate a book.

Regardless, I predict that at least one author will make it big by exploiting multiple international markets from book launch...if this haven't happened already.


Anne R. Allen: Is it Really Time for Authors to Stop Blogging?:

To blog, or not to blog? Your career might hinge on this decision. These days, the answer depends.


Jennifer R. Hubbard: Things to consider in paranormal novels:

The afterlife is another one of those aspects you need to think of if it's involved in your story. How does the presence of a concrete afterlife influence your characters' outlooks? This is just one thought in this post.


Let Thoughts Brew Longer: The Death of Mary Sue:

I already blogged about this, but I'll let another advocate of this viewpoint explain it her own way.


Christina Reads YA: How to End a Love Triangle:

Let me say that I'm definitely going to write a blog post on love triangles and post it within the month of April. Love triangles are such an intricate and polarizing topic--further signs of their longevity.

This post makes me want to write a story involving polyamory. Yes, there's a difference between polygamy, polygyny and polyandry. Look if up if you're interested. Another nifty thing about love is that there's so much terminology involved. It's a linguist's treasure trove.

(If you want bonus points, look up gray asexual, androphilia and gynephilia, and two-spirit.)


Jami Gold: Does Your Site Welcome Disabled Readers? — Guest: Linda Adams:

This is a consideration that you should at least think about. As stated in this article, even though the majority of blog readers aren't disabled, many readers over a 40 have difficulty reading small text. Plus, those captcha codes are evil. I'm a teenager whose yet to lose any of my site, and I have difficulty reading them most of the time.

(Psst. Find a different security measure.)


A Newbie's Guide to Publishing: Obsolete Anonymous:

This piece got some great laughs out of me the afternoon I read it. The anthropomorphism hits all the right buttons, and yet the main point of it is sadly true: print books are going to go niche in a few years. 

Ebooks are just cheaper and more convenient. In the end, the feel of paper doesn't cut it compared with more commercial factors.

That said, this article did attracted a few displeased responses when I linked this at TV Tropes. A whole variety of stuff is put under the "obsolete" label here, but that's the danger of taking humorous liberties. People will be offended by some bending of the facts.

Also, it's technically not an "Anonymous" session. It's not like technology have last names to hide.

Mystery Writing is Murder: Creative Exploration:

This post bought up another blog post I've written about on this blog: "You Can Only Write in One Genre. Period. End of Story".

While Ms. Craig takes a mixed position on this article, it's nice to know that people have noticed it. Also, that the opinion that writing in more than one genre can wreck your brand is fading out due to shifting publishing practices.

Other Notable Links:

Have a great weekend!