Pages

Dogtown Weekly: 3/8/13

For now, I'm going to suspend personal updates and focus more on the weekly round-up. Notes will be at the end of this post.

Enjoy these links, and share this article with someone if you found it useful!

Disclosure: Before anyone can ask, yes, I removed a couple of links from the TV Tropes' Article Dumping thread from this lineup. I have done it before. Occasionally, I find that in retrospect, including a particular link wouldn't be useful.



Weekly Round-up: 3/8/13

Anne R. Allen: 5 Ways "Difficult" Women Can Energize Your Writing and Make Your Fiction Memorable:

As noted in the comments, the "difficult" part mostly comes from the fact that this archetype goes against historical and societal expectations. In many cultures, both in the past and today, women are expected to take the backseat to men. These characters instead kick the driver out and speed away.

TalkToYouUniverse: TTYU Retro: Using projection/anticipation to improve your manuscript:

This article gives one critiquing tip: Ask your beta reader "what do you think will happen next"?

I'm including this because I think I did the same thing when I posted Manifestation Files on a public Google Docs file for my friends to beta read. It's useful.

Terribleminds: DRM: A Petition to Unlock E-books:

Chuck Wendig's article gives an great, extensive argument on ebook licensing. Read it.  Then check out the linked petition. I suggest that you look at it and considering digitally signing it.

At the moment, we technically don't own books bought from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many major retailers. They can pull the book from our Kindles if they want to.

But if there's one thing I believe in, is that if it wasn't for the honesty and honor of millions of Internet users out there, a lot of our media would be screwed. Good thing not everyone who knows how to pirate pirates all of their media.

Nathan Bransford: When the Twitterverse Finds Enemies:

Remember that one The Onion tweet on Oscar night? This post recalls some of the outrage on Twitter--and points out how sometimes the crowd can be not so different from the offenders. This post also points out how sometimes people can get riled up over nothing.

While jumping to conclusions is nothing new, the Internet makes it easier for people to act on those rash feelings. Please remember to do your research before you go out for some blood. Misinformation is out there, and even the true injustices aren't worth ruining your integrity over.

The Write Practice: Every Writer Needs a Cartel:

Think Hemingway was a total recluse? Wrong. Even 20th century writers have their "network".

Let's Get Digital: When Visibility Doesn’t Lead To Book Sales:

Lastly, here's a reminder that exposure doesn't mean sells. You can be in front of a crowd of millions, but if all the involved factors are against you, you might not get a lot of sells. Just ask the King of the Nerds contestant who guest wrote this post.

By the way, I put her first book onto my wishlist. Unfortunately, it'll most likely stay there for a long time. I already have a few ebooks already on my Kindle that I'm itching to read...let's hope that Amazon doesn't yank them away. :p

(Well, Ali Cross' Desolate is from Smashwords, so I'll at least keep that.)

A quick blog note.

I'm probably going to go back to Monday posts every week. I'm finding that every other week isn't working for me. So keep a watch out for articles next Monday and the Monday after!