Pages

Dogtown Weekly: 5:40 AM

One month has passed! The other eleven will be better.

It's scary how fast they're going to go.

Guest Post: The Write Practice

It went up yesterday! I finished the first version of this back in November during my failed guest posting blitz, but it didn't went up then since I wrote it for The Write Practice and all slots were filled at the time. Until now.

I'm surprised that Joe Bunting let me do two guest posts, but since I already gained another follower, I can't complain.

(On a side note, I applied for the Story Cartel/The Write Practice program. One of the application questions was my biggest fear as a writer. I had trouble submitting that without being indirect, and even then, I hesitated at pressing "Send". At least that's a sign that it the answer was genuine.

You'll have to wait to read about my writing fear.)

Now for the weekly round-up.



Weekly Round-up: 2/1/13

The Write Practice: Why You Should Try Writing in Second Person: 

I'm posting this here because I wrote a couple of poems recently in 2nd person. In my (limited) experience, it seems to work well with non-novel works, but only because I read one novella in 2nd person. It wasn't my kind of book. It was one book though.


Try writing in 2nd person one day. It can work quite well when everything else is handled correctly.

The Character Therapist: Barbie Knocks One Out of the Ballpark: 

This is a more interesting article to discuss, particularly how the blogger talks about moral premise.


Personally, I can't judge Barbie as Rapunzel based on the description, but I'm curious about moral premise. It doesn't seem to be the best executed, based on the summary, since Barbie wasn't lying and was punished, and this hints that maybe this version of her might be too pure, but I need to watch the movie.


It's unlikely unless one of my younger cousins happen to watch it one day while I'm around.
If you want a super long analysis of a work by most blogger standards, look up Cross-up.

terribleminds: Yes, Virginia, You Can Be a Writer Too: 

This is a follow-up from Chuck's 25-item list from last week, which was in the round-ups.
Read this if you need a little inspiration peppered with strong language. Work on your typing, know that it can take years to become published, but in the end, it's worth it.


As in, "$46600 a year" worth it. Of course, writing isn't a profession to go into for the money most of the time, but that sounds like a reasonable income. I'll confirm it when I take personal income next year.


Still, get writing.


Word for Teens: Blogging In Real Life (1): 

Here's a quick post for the bloggers my age to confirm that, yes, you can use your blog for your resume.

The Vandal: Goodreads. A Great Site, But…:

 Is Goodreads really overrun by spammers? From my perspective, I keep getting friend requests from people I haven't interacted with. Maybe I should prune my list one day.


But is it true that Goodreads needs to take some more tips from Facebook? Pitch in, Goodreads members.


Writer's Updates: Waking Up Early

Last week, I mentioned that one of my goals was to wake up early. While writing progress has been contained to minimal outlining (and a practice other on my guest post), I have been more successful with the sleeping part.

Since Monday, I've been going to bed before 11:00 PM, falling asleep no more than an hour after, and waking at around 5:40 AM. Oh, and I'm not tired during the day.

Yeah. Five hours of sleep. It's natural, and my doctor says it's okay. My body's strange that way.

I'm still working on making the extra thirty minutes more productive, but I've taken the first steps. I'm giving credit to Andy Traub for the spark needed to take action. I just need to maintain this habit.

Of course, the ultimate challenge is tomorrow: the weekend. I might just start with Saturdays and let myself stay in bed on Sundays, but if I awaken on one day early, I can free up some golden writing time.

Now, about the actual writing, maybe I should bring in some more accountability.

(...No ellipses--wait a minute.)

YOUR TURN: I already asked this before, but how do your sleeping habits correspond to your writing routine (or lack of)?