Pages

Dogtown Weekly: 1/25/12

I apologize in advance for the shorter list of links. I hope you still find these valuable.

Study Hacks: “Write Every Day” is Bad Advice: Hacking the Psychology of Big Projects:


Once again, this debate rears its head.

My opinion though, is that in the end, it depends on the writer. Some writers might need to work on their work every day. Some writers might have to take a day or two off a week. Some writers might work fine working without a fixed schedule, and picking up the pencil when they feel like it. 


Kristen Lamb's Blog: Enemies of the Art Part 1–Approval Addiction: 


I haven't encountered this problem on a family level, but I see it often with writers among other writers.

Don't get fixated over getting approval over one excerpt of your work from critiquers. Get the approval once, step away, and go write the rest. You will feel better when you can announce that you finished a draft, and then an entire project.


terribleminds: 25 Hard Truths About Writing and Publishing:


Read through this list, even if for review.

One point that I haven't seen any blog about though is #16. Yes, you might be upset over the fact that another seemly-airheaded celeb got a book deal, but besides the integrity of books (which is 


Jami Gold: Behave...The Internet Never Forgets:

Kristen Lamb has a related blog post about the entire ordeal. Read both of these.

Don't be the plagiarist described in these articles unless you want a uphill battle toward publication. On the other level, remember that with multiple archive sites around, it's hard to not leave evidence of your cyber deeds unless you lurk on the uncharted side of the Internet...but who knows how long that will stay in the dark.

Hmm...what dirt have I left under the Chihuahua Zero handle?


Writing Update: It's complicated.

Manifestation Files has halted, again.

I'm focusing on the other elements of my daily life first before tending to my writing. I'm trying to improve my sleeping "early to bed, early to rise" style, making better use of my time after school, fitting both violin and piano into my schedule, and in general become more efficient while preventing bad stress.

Good news though, is that the yearly art edition of my school's newspaper is open for submission.

Not only I have some poems from my Comm Arts class, but the number of submissions are low. My chances of making the final edition is extremely high.

In the grand scheme of things, it's small, but I can't pass it up.

All I need to do is to type them up...

This probably deserves its own post in the future, but I'll let it out now.

I'm not sure about my position on college. Should I be open toward the Ivy League, or disregard the recommended credits, put myself out of the running, and shift my priorities as school continues on? 

Choosing classes for next year weren't that hard, but I'm not sure if I want to spend one more year on science/math/possibly French than I need to.

Besides, at the end of the day, if I want to be a full-time writer, the degree itself isn't as useful to me, only the experience. Plenty of successful and breadwinning authors never went to college.

Doesn't mean I don't want to go to college. I want the experience. The question is to what level. I have no plans to go beyond four years, but I'm uncertain about whatever I want to go to a really prestigious college or not, just in case my aspirations as a novelist fall through since maybe a smaller insituation might be better suited to my artistic leanings.

YOUR TURN: So, college. Anyone going there? Anyone not? Advice?

Also, are any of you fellow writers submitting anything at the moment? Take the mic!