Pages

5 Quick Tips for NaNoWriMo

Be the center.
NaNoWriMo starts on Thursday!

For the few who are masters at avoiding what's in, or live in especially glamorous rocks, NaNoWriMo stands for "National Novel Writing Month". The goal is simple: Write 50,000 words for one novel project in 30 days.

The challenge, however, is harder than it sounds like--yet easier, if you actually write.

Since everyone else's doing it, even though I prefer to not follow trends without putting my own twist in the matter, I'll just put my two pesos into the arena:

Set Some Time For Writing

Once you carve out time in your day to sit down and actually write, reaching 1667 words a day should be a breeze, relatively speaking.

Unless you're a busy person or a student with lots of exams this month, you should be able to spare sixty or ninety minutes. 

Now, don't be rigid about it. In fact, you should encourage yourself to be spontaneous about it...

Make Writing Your Go-To Activity

This is a thought that I had after playing Bejeweled on my iPhone one too many times.

It's deleted now, and there was a dull shift in my mind when I found myself clicking to it only to see that the app's gone, but the problem was that it has became a habit to play it, instead of doing something productive, like piano, or homework...or writing.

Make writing that kind of habit, to the point that you feel it when it's absent.

It's a great activity to get "addicted" to it, because, unlike blows and whisky, you can get something good out of it.

Learn How to Sit Correctly

This will be a future post. I already have it written up. Posture is important. Remember that.

BACK-UP! BACK-UP! ONE, TWO, THREE TIMES!

Seriously! This doesn't apply just to NaNoWriMo. Have more than one way to back up my writing.

I have learned my lesson multiple times. First, it was my flashdrive. I lost it.

I then put SyncToy into the mix, which allows me to easily back-up my files onto the computer. Unfortunately, one month, my laptop charger died on me, and my flash drive broke.

Now I have Dropbox. That's three ways of backing up, although it's sort of moot. I'm using Google Drive now.

But even then, I'll be setting up a back-up for that, just in case Almighty Google decides to shut my account down. I'm probably breaking at least one rule.

Now, about rules...

Don't Use NaNoWriMo as an Excuse to Write Complete Junk

This is just my opinion, but for NaNoWriMo, I think you're better off coming in with some sort of plan instead of typing disorganized yarn for thirty days.

I know that the point of NaNoWriMo is to get yourself writing, but you can do that and have a decent draft. In the long-term, it's better to work on a project you can take farther than November, and have some structure to work from it.

You technically win NaNoWriMo if you write 50k words.

How about take the further step and win writing by continuing with those 50k words?

Therefore, have some sort of plan (whatever it's an outline or some key scenes you want to write) so you have something to work off of for draft two.

Conclusion

So, those are my tips.

I turn the mic to you.

YOUR TURN: Are you doing NaNoWriMo? What advice you have?

Respond in the comments or write your answer on your blog, and link it back to here.