Pages

Write a Delivery Story [Writer's Update]

A lost-and-found box full of school stuff.
Gettit?
In order to make the Writer's Updates more practical, I'll be testing out...stuff. Just stuff. Like content and such. Maybe something closer to Daily Life. Tell me when I hit a sweet spot.

Remember that promise that I made Monday that I would start writing a short story?

Well, despite having homework, a missing hoodie, and two neglected instruments, I wrote four pages yesterday.

Four pages. About a thousand words. The size of a long flash fiction.

Progress!

:D

:/

Well, Technically...

...I was writing another short story before I received the review copy for "Let's Write a Short Story"! I started way back on the 16th. The premise? 

A twenty-seven-year-old woman named Ari goes into an "abandoned" building after the end to retrieve a genetically modified creature from a science lab. One that happened to get populated by the experiments. Oh, and she meets a younger boy along the way.

...Okay, that sounds amateurish. Sort of like that those runaway or "I-have-been-turned-into-a-pony-oh-no!" kinds of stories written by teens my age.

I'll just use my log line skills to compress the summary into pitch-worthy form:

"After the end, a weary for-hire girl meets a young hermit and traverses an infested lab."

Much better. Does it sounds like a story you would want to read? Yes or no?

In any case, it took a while. Fifteen or sixteen pages in about six days. If I want to start writing on a regular basis, I'll have to adjust my pace so I can finish the same type of draft in half the time, if not a third.

Still, considering my writing drought over the summer, it's improvement.


Now I'm working on the short story I promised myself I would start writing Monday. But I started it Tuesday, because I had to finished my previous project. Now, I'm committed.

For the sake of being loose, I jumped into the story sometime during either Communication Arts or Study Hall. I started with the same concept I wrote the previous story with: delivery.


What's a Delivery Story?

A pizza guy on a bright-colored scooter.
Writing prompt. Go.
This is a concept I'll be writing a longer blog post on in the future.

A delivery story: A story that revolves around a character transferring an entity from one location or character to another.

It's a basic definition, but it's a plot with many possibilities. You can get thousands of stories just from deciding who's the protagonist or narrator. Is it the deliver, the sender, the receiver, a witness, or someone else who will be affected by the delivery?

It's a journey, except your objective is not just to get to Point A to Point B, you have something or someone to protect. You're entrusted with it. How does that affect you.

The delivery causes a change. Most likely, it's character development. Or if the story is a tragedy, the setting takes a hit.

It's a interesting subject I hope I'll fall in love with.

My Goal

Previously, I wanted to write a YA short story collection with all male POVs. That's still a possibility. For now though, I want more flexibility. I want to work on characterization, character development, stakes in conflict setting, saying more with less, subtext, dialogue...and pretty much everything, but especially those things I just listed.

Once I get plenty of stories under my belt, preferably some in a publishable state, I'll pick which ones to send to literary publications or compile into a short story collection.

If I get published, I'll be excited.

Spiritual Dilemma

Still, I run into two problems.

  1. Committing to the short story collection to the bitter end.
  2. Whatever I will come back to Manifestation Files.

The latter is important, but since I wrote quite a lot on that subject, I'll save it for a future post.

Let me say that I want to publish Manifestation Files, but the problem is what project to focus on.

I could split it...but I'll continue writing short stories for now. I'll test the waters. If I find that I get a lot done on that route, I'll put Manifestation Files to the side and aim for self-publishing. Hey, I'm a teen. I have no money problems.

Ninjas Witches in Paris London

A purple witch hat.
She probably won't be wearing this.
The current story I'm writing can be summarize as this (so far):

"In Magicpunk London, a delivery witch itching to get out ends up with a package that attracts trouble from various factions."

Basically, Ruth, the protagonist, has responsibility shoved into her feather-weight belt. How will she handle it? Is her love for servant boy Luke strong enough to overcome the fact that the Victorian equivalent of the Mafia made her a target?
I'll see. We'll see.

YOUR TURN: Have you ever written a story involving a plot-central delivery? What do you think of these story ideas?

PS: First of all, I got two pages done since I finished this post.

PSS: Second of all, my post over at YA Indie got submitted to Reddit. It's a first! :D