Pages

Writer's Update: 6/27/12 (Stage Play Reflection)

As I'm starting this on Tuesday afternoon, I'm home alone, eating from a bowl of ice cream.

I wrote a blog post this morning, but progress on Manifestation Files, as usual, hasn't started yet. I doesn't help that one of my siblings snatched my laptop ten minutes before the first alarm.

And now I'm going to take a walk to walk off the ice cream chill.

...

Okay, I'm back.

Blogging

Yeah, progress on Manifestation Files has been slow lately, but only because I'm pumping most of my writing effort into this blog.

First, I got my Tumblr set out. Second, I started using StumbleUpon regularly (you can see I'm putting upcoming posts for the weekly round-up it into, along with my own work). Third, I added a new sharing system. More options, more fun! Six flags!

Yeah, I shouldn't be putting this much focus, especially when I have all this time in my hands to focus on my main personal project.

And I procrastinated another hour before coming back to this paragraph.

Yeah, dedication is down on my end. Fortunately, I'm building up the buffer more and more, getting my name out more and more, and the number of views on this blog this month will exceed June's.

Also, three things that I'll probably do by the end of the year:


  1. Guest post on multiple blogs at once.
  2. Launch a controversial blog series (still in-progress).
  3. Change the blog's name. (More on this later).

Stageplay

On Friday, my five-day summer camp for playwrighting ended. The high school troupe performed all the finished scripts, although the two largest ones weren't shown in its entirely due to only having fifty minutes for the entire showcase. I filmed the entire thing and got good footage, even if the sound's a little soft.

Oh, and for both my one-act play and monologue, I was peeking back to see if anyone was laughing. It was quiet, but there was laughter.

At the end, I stayed around with Mom (who couldn't attend due to her having to monitor her own showcase--Harry Potter camp) and talked with the teacher. Mostly for feedback. Both positive and negative.

I forgot to record the positive feedback (how hypocritical of me), but from the top of my head, I have:

  • Great ideas
  • Good dialogue
  • Realistic female characters (gender ratio in art is always skewered)
  • Good storytelling sense

On the other hand, I also got a few criticisms and constructive advice. This I did recorded, on the green one-sheet Playbill:

  • Work on finding stakes on conflict
  • Work on subtext
  • When writing stage plays, don't think too largely.

The first one I'm trying to work on. Maybe in Manifestation Files, Bryan needs more of a social life that starts dying at one point. For the second one, it's more about keeping dialogue from being too direct, since "people don't always say what they're saying", in my acting teacher's words.

The third one is more complicated, and it relates more to stage plays than general fiction. "He has a cinematic mind," my acting teacher said to Mom. A lot of the revising I did on my two one-act plays involved scaling down and focusing more on what I have. 

For example, one play had its first two scenes merged together, since jumping around a lot in theater is counter-productive, especially considering how short the scene was. For the new second scene, I started it off with a bang that directly translate with the merged ending of the first scene.

But with the one-act play that didn't make the cut, the problem were characters. For a sketchy feel, I had three walk-bys, all for the sake of setting up a joke. However, their presence on-stage is too fleeting, and my acting teacher wanted to know more about these people. Or at least have them stay around and make the jokes associated with them funnier.

Funny thing is, I stayed away from the multi-act plays. I was afraid of being too "kiddy", but the actors really brought the two multi-act plays out in terms of emotions. Something that I should have more in my scripts.

...

I think that's about all. Any questions?