Pages

What NOT to Do in Writing (#storycraft)

On Sunday, I dropped into the #storycraft chat on Twitter (which is hosted every Sunday at 6 PM EST to 7 PM). It was a last-minute decision, since I was procrastinating anyways. No surprise. While it was a great discussion, yet I could have been doing some more useful stuff (like writing Sunday's yMusic post), I did got out a few writing tips from myself.

Namely, the theme of the discussion was "what not to write".

While there are exceptions to all of these, all of these are stuff I have a bone to pick with. All but the first one apply to one book I really disliked (guess which one. I dare you), but this is a generally full list I got out from the discussion. All were from my Twitter, @chihuahuazero:

  • Whitewashing the past=big no-no.
  • What not to do: Make the protag unlikable AND boring.
  • ? Don't wait until the end for us to care a little about the protag.
  • ? Make the antag more interesting than the protag.
  • ? Have every character except the protag's little sis [be] unlikable.
  • ? Never solve ANY of the injustices presented in the book.
  • ? Have the protag not have a high point of reference in the beginning of a tragedy.
  • ? Be too risky with a 2nd person story. You're already on thin ice [for most readers].
  • ? Maintain the same kind of mood for most of the story.

You get the idea. There are exceptions, but you'll have to be skilled in order to get away with all of these flaws. Fortunately, very few of us want to write a book where most of these are involved.


The book these were from wasn't written by someone experienced enough. It's appeal was in a more experimental, lit-fic place.


YOUR TURN: Do you have any tips on what NOT to do in writing?


(Note: This post was written in about twelve minutes. I would've done it faster if I wasn't keeping one ear onto "Evanescence").