Pages

Weekly Round-up: 4/13/12 (and 1st Post of the Week)

I received a request from more than one person to "please provide more commentary" for the links. 


One reason why they're so sparse is because I just settled on either: a) quickly summarizing the post in one sentence or b) being amusing. At the very beginning, I did a paragraph commentary for each link, but that grew too impractical to do.


So, a buddy on the Internet suggested a middle-point: Chose one article and provide commentary on that.


Of course, I took it.


Read toward the end of the post for the first "Post of the Week"!



Monday:



Tuesday:



Wednesday:



Thursday:


...Unfortunately, no blog posts on writing craft and such stood out today.


----


Post of the Week:




This is a post from one of the first blogs I followed, so it wasn't a surprising choice.


Thinking about it, romance is one of those polarizing topics. Problem is, so many stories in so many medias and in so many genres has a romance, you'll have to be exceptional for your romantic arc to truly appeal.


A fuller opinion of that certain topic is a tale for another day, though. 


One reason why this one post stuck out because it's composed of many appealing elements. A cute picture (the protagonist making funny faces in an attempt to catch the love interest's attention would make a funny scene), three different types of lists, and an excerpt from Lydia Sharp's WIP.


The absolute point of this entire article is: love is unexplainable, but the little things count the most. One staple of parodying melodrama is over-the-top monologues and "internal conflict" that comes with it. Many romantic protagonists in YA (like Bella Swan) take the time to talk it out in their minds. Which is often done poorly. And is often a cardboard example of telling.


However, the point Lydia Sharp makes here is that subtext is everything.


For example, the excerpt she uses involves a mundane gesture: The love interest handing the narrator a doughnut. It's a short moment, yet there's a heartwarming feeling pounding behind the text. 


Really. The "sharing her napkin" part brought out some of my feminine side.


On a more personal level, this post made me realize I can use "those little moments" to help my romantic arc.


Oh, one more thing: I missed this little detail on the first few read-throughs of this post (large paragraphs flips "scan mode" on), but this paragraph (bold added):


This technique works for any type of romantic relationship, whether it's male/female, male/male, or female/female. And yes, you can write believable romance from the male point of view. In fact, I'd love to see more of that (which is why I'm writing it myself). Boys fall in love, too!

made me smile. Because I'm doing the same exact thing.


Oh, and check the comments if you want to see me embarrassing myself.




What are your thoughts on the Post of the Week?


P.S: Here's a previous post from a previous weekly round-up that pop back into mind. Perhaps I should try writing a romance one day--despite never having one.


Hmm...who shall be my first "victim"?


P.S.S. EDIT: The first archive page for weekly round-ups is up!