Pages

yMusic: Blue Jeans, Zero Gravity, Part of Me

yNot? :p

Well, as long as I'm going to keep blogging about music on a writing blog, I might as well make an unique label for it, and designate the topic to its own day. I'll post this today, although I might make this a Saturday thing. We'll see.

Yesterday, I was feeling down. Sort of trapped in my own laziness. So I whipped out the iPhone, explored VEVO and such--and emerged not wanting to cry anymore. There's a reason why I love music.

Let's analyse the tracks in the order I listened to them in:

"Blue Jeans" by Lana Del Rey


First things first, I'll eat your brains there's the music video for Lana Del Rey's upcoming third single. Not a big surprise, since this is one of the songs on her previous EP. It's a slow song with high vocals and occasional clapping, appealing to a love-nostalgic 20th century tone.

However, I would say the music video's middle-of-the-crop.

Stylistic-wise, its similar to the video for Rihanna's "You Da One". Monochrome, anyone? Oh, and nice editing. However, I find it interesting how Lana Del Rey's people used the same guy from the "Born to Die" video. Any particular reason? But unlike that video, it lacks any haunting moments. I expected Lana to drown at one point, or some bloodshedding from those alligators that might symbolize something or might be there just for the sake of symbolism.

In general, it's all right, but it's too subdued.

"Zero Gravity" by Kerli


Hello, Bubblegum Goth Princess. It's been three years since your last album, although I enjoyed "Tea Party" and "Army of Love". I also see you also took a sharp genre turn. You seemed to brush aside that macabre, fairy-tale tone in "Zero Gravity".

When the first verse kicked in, I thought "Ke$ha!" During the first view, I found the electro-pop vibe a bit jarring. Not to mention the fact lots of people are probably making the Lady Gaga comparison. (Any singer who wears a wacky costume will get compared to Lady Gaga). 

However, I grew into it quickly. The chorus is catchy, and the breakdown is more focus than Nicki Minaj's "Starships". Sure, the music video's weird and possesses uncertain, homoerotic undertones, but the accent behind Kerli's singing voice is a nice spice that will certainly let her burst into the music scene again.

"Part of Me" by Katy Perry


I'll be a little more brief here. Out of the three music videos, this is the most story-oriented one. The plot is simple. Katy catches her boyfriend cheating--and she joins the Marines. Female-empowerment anthem all the way.

The video seems overly familiar, but it executes all the elements quite well, of course. Still, two elements popped out:
  1. She's binding her chest in front of a public restroom sink? Is anyone else seeing this?
  2. She's burning her ex's letter? How would people react if she was a man burning his ex-girlfriend's letter? Seems a bit...harsh. Yet again, that's what the song's centered around.
Despite those nitpicks, I'll definitely watch it again. Katy can get away with releasing seven singles for one album. Rihanna did it too.


Not the perfect crop, but an entertaining one, at that. As more and more songs are released, along with music videos, I'll do more in-depth reviews, as a writer.

QUESTION: Did you know that Rihanna has four singles out for her current album Talk That Talk? Can you name all four without looking them up? How many of them have you heard on the radio?