Pages

Bad Writing...On a Grammar Sheet?

For my first post on grammar, I'll be stepping onto a soapbox and drawing directly from my schoolwork. I'm taking a simple worksheet that was more of a review than anything, but it caught my interest. With a hook.

(Note: I already made the corrections the worksheet wanted me to do. I left everything else intact, bad writing , grammar mistakes that the worksheet didn't want me to correct, and all).

So, here are the first four lines on the worksheet:

"I'm pitching," said Jamie before they tied this game up.
"I gave it my best," exclaimed Yvonne, "but my arm's sore!"
Jamie heard the pained voice and said, "Yvonne, don't worry about it."
"Let's play ball!" came the call from the ump.

Awkward sentence structure, said bookisms, unnatural dialogue, "the pained voice"...

"The pained voice."


Just by looking at it, I would personally change it to "her pained voice", although that's still awkward. But "the pained voice" is like Little Billy referring to her mom as "the woman".

Considering this is from a grammar worksheet, which is supposed to teach students how to write correctly, it's a little troubling, don't you think?

YOUR TURN: Which degree of good writing should a grammar worksheet uphold?