Pages

Daily Thoughts: 11/11/11

First of all, I will quote a forum post:

  1. According to my stats and the fact someone used a Russian search engine to reach my site, one of my to-be regular readers lives in Russia.
  2. My mom is going to be working with an author on a book on gardening.
  3. That same author is considering creating a writing class for high schoolers. My mom enlisted me on crafting an idea for it. At first, I was hesitant and all worried about it catering under my writing level, but I typed it up on e-mail. The author loves it. Hopefully, she'll go through with it.
  4. My hip-hop teacher is going to dance with JLo.

To elaborate on Point 3, the idea is for a Critique Circle. Every student brings in a story, they learn how to critique another writer's story by spotting the strong and weak points, and then they critique everyone else's story. With hope, if my idea is used, the students will provide varied constructive criticism. I'll present some of Manifestation Files, since I'll probably get into the class free due to the connection mentioned in Point 2.

Now for a link: The Other Side of the Story: Need a Jump? Four Ways to Fix a Stalled Story

Personally, I think the forth point of the list stands out the most. In Manifestation Files, there's plenty of small sub-plots that sort of rotate out. Besides the Dramatic and Character Development arc, there's the romantic arc, Bryan-Kyle arc, Bryan-Jeb, arc, a bunch of other storylines you won't understand out of context...

It doesn't addresses the possibility of the sub-plot replacing the main plot and becoming the point of the book after revision, but that's an interesting scenario, but one that probably won't happen to Manifestation Files.

Now, NaNoWriMo. From the pace I'm going, I won't reach the end of the book by the time November ends. I'll drop the project once I past the 50K milestone and take a break before starting on Draft 3 of Manifestation Files. It's mostly for practice, anyways. I'm getting better at writing a story without long-handing before typing.