Pages

Hip-Hop Auditions


First post in since a few days. I written up a review for The Shifter and an interpretation of Lady Gaga's "You and I", but I'll have to revise those before posting them.

(Plain writing ahoy)

Remember those auditions I mentioned in an earlier post? I took one of them today, the hip-hop one. I almost thought that Mom had forgotten about them, but today she brought me over to the performance arts school and signed me up. I got number 53 pinned onto my shirt.

A few minutes later, I went down with about twenty other auditioners into a dance studio in the basement. It had black walls, mirrors all around, and a table with some grapes and cheese. The four hip-hop teachers sat at the table. One of them was my hip-hop teacher (RW). RW is probably the most professional of them, once getting a featured article in my local newspaper, and also performing under Lady Gaga. Don't try to find him.

The dance audition went like this: We went into three lines to stretch, and then we went straight to learning our first dance. We took about thirty minutes or so learning the choreography, which was to a song called "Yeah Three Times". Although my mind wandered, as usual, it was easy memorizing the steps.

After going over it with the music, we broke off into groups of five. We first practiced in front of the mirror, then we turned around to dance to the judges. To show off, we were allowed several measures of free-dance before and after the choreography. To paraphrase what RW said:

 "It's not the steps that matter. It's the energy."

So, when I went in front of the judges, I placed myself in the center of the formation...and rocked the floor.

Although I'm a very introverted guy, that doesn't bleed over into stage presence. Social interaction, and attention-grabbing are two different creatures. My drama teacher than testify that. Also, there is a dissonance between the performers and the audience, so as long as you don't have stage fright, you can focus on the moves, the audience connections.

That what I did. I played up to the levels, and the musicality, and the energy. After that, the other groups tried to top themselves, but I'm sure I did really well, even if I flob some of the steps. I walked back in line, excited, giggly, and humming the song under my breath.

But then there was the second dance.

The second dance was brutal. The speed was fast, the dance was longer and harder, and I couldn't absorb the dance moves in such a short time. It's a problem I have in hip-hop class: Sometimes, I don't maintain the dance moves. Short-term memory didn't work for me. Although I got the gist of it, the moves were not exactly punctual.

Before we separated into groups to do that dance, RW gave a speech to us.

He addressed us and said that we shouldn't worry about flubbing the choreography. Everyone was struggling, even him. He made it up on the spot. Even him, the one that danced with Lady Gaga, makes mistakes at auditions. But sometimes, those mistakes get him the job.

The real thing the judges were looking for is positive energy. It's all about the energy. If someone had negative energy, thinking that they won't do well and they shouldn't try, they wouldn't get past the door.

Those words were reassuring. Although I only had the gist of it, ninety percent of the class only had the gist too. The playing field was even. The only deciding factor was energy.

So for the free-style portion, I played to it.

After the audition was done, the photographer took a few photos of the groups for reference. I asked when we were going to get the results. One of the teachers said Friday.

Five more days until I find out if I make it or not. But since I'm an idealist and an optimist at heart, I know I did. Even if I didn't, I don't care. It was still an thrilling experience, one that was worth sacrificing my writing time over. I only wrote one and a half pages today, but I'm should I'll make it up once Monday comes.

...

Now I have a proper story to use when I'll have to write a personal narrative for Creative Writing. I can tell you why personal narratives are the stories that I dislike writing the most, but that's for another day.

C0 Out.