Pages

First Article+Flash Fiction


Hey, guess what? I wrote an article for Superhero Nation! 

Despite the name, it covers writing in general, along with information on superheroes (and psychics). It's a great blog that you should check out. The other day, I saw the "Write For Us" post on their site. So I brainstormed, trying to figure out an article that few people on the Internet have written.

Quick, name a website that did a post/article on character voices, besides dialects and slang. Three...two...

So I did that: How to write distinct character voices. From my writing experience, I drew several factors that writers can keep in mind when writing dialogue. Besides word choice, there's stuff like force and situations. After rewriting it when the first draft fell through (spectrums don't really work. It came off as gimmicky), I send it over to the owner of the site, B Mac.

He kindly gave a few suggestions and added a few revisions, mostly examples. After I did a few more changes, he posted it up. When I saw the link to it on my e-mail, a jolt of excitement came to me.

In general, I'm glad with the article. It's not the best, but it's something that isn't covered often. If you can find similar articles to it, let me know. I would like to read them.

Now, I took most of the advice I wrote for character voice for the main and core characters. For example, take Finn, my co-protagonist. He's timid, modest, clumsy, and a psychic. For his dialogue, I focused on his self-identity. The main quirk is that he rarely refers to himself, and prefers referring to the group he's in or to the person he's talking too. When he does use "I", he's depraving himself. This emphasizes his mysterious background and his social awkwardness. But I'm still having trouble with his word choice. It would make sense to make it formal, but he's far from snobby, so I'm aiming for a mix.

Bryan is a more interesting case, since he's the narrator. I'm still working on his narrative voice, but his dialogue takes self-identity in the other direction. He starts his sentences with "I think" and such, and he mixes short and long sentences with his snarks. His catchphrase is "Wait a minute...".

For other characters, it varies. For example, one of my minor ones, which I describe as if he was a traumatized squirrel, uses lots of hesitation and tics. An important character uses loose language; one uses more elaborate language, and one I'm trying to inject with spunk. In short, I'm using their personalities to make their language distinct and make them pop out of the pages and be more memorable.

----

The other day, I wrote a couple of flash fiction for Communication Arts class. My teacher gave our class the assignment of finding the definitions of vocabulary words, and then using all of them in a story. Although mine are higher than average (compared to the class) the quality varies. Yet, I'm posting them anyways. Beware, they are rough drafts.

Joe was done with his boss's derision, the way he fed on his stifled talent. Joe was done being suavity, letting his boss do whatever he likes, even promoting that ditzy blonde. Hoe possessed the sagacity needed to see that his boss couldn't be fired by legal and moral means.
 So Joe snuck into his boss's office, brandished the blonde's sweater, and vehemently smothered him to death. For once, Joe felt pleasure in his boss as he took his final breath against the bookcase.

That was a bit mood swinging. Now, for the second one, which is slightly better, but has information chucked together:

There was a day where one can lark, but it was no more. Trains went through the junction with monotony. Same gray hue, same whistling tone. Lots of assurance was put on the rails so everything ran like clockworks.
 A long man slumped as he walked through the station, face obscured by his coat, collar, and hat. He trended carefully, as the wet floor caused many to slip and be promptly removed. Water leaked from the roof above. Perfection went elsewhere--to the rails.
 He saw it. In the cracks of the ravaged floor, a phosphorescent object was lodged between two pieces. It was hope. Hope for more than perfection.

The first paragraph could have been discarded, but I shoved most of my vocabulary words in there. Rachel pretty much ranted about the limitations in one of them. At least it's a story.